On 19.02.2010 18:43, Steve Borho wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Sune Foldager <sune.folda...@me.com> wrote:
>> On 19-02-2010 17:04, Steve Borho wrote:
>>
>>> Someone should double-check, but I could swear I see the mt tool
>>> running on the Mercurial C extensions when we compile them with
>>> thg-winbuild.   I suppose it's trivial to check after the fact.
>>
>> Yes it does, but there aren't manifests in the pyd files shipping with
>> Python, such as win32event.pyd etc. This is on purpose to enable
>> side-by-side shipping of executables, amusingly enough :-p.
>
> I've been digging around in our library.zip file, and the only pyds I
> could find without manifests were the PyGtk libraries, and they
> require the same version of msvcrt that we ship (by pure luck).

If a pyd doesn't have a manifest requesting a specific version
of a dll it depends on, then I would say you get whatever version is
installed on that system (I guess from C:Windows\WinSxS), if you load
it into dependency walker.

So, inferring from what's loaded into dependency walker, that a pyd
"requires" a specific version of another dll, is incorrect.

But of course a pyd without a manifest may still have version
requirements on other dll's -- as Sune pointed out on irc.
But I guess this would then have to be noted in documentation
or the like (since there will be no information in the pyd
itself about that fact).

At least this is how I understand it at the moment, but I may well
be wrong. So please correct me if I'm wrong.