Hi,

I've started to look at the Multi-format-WC feature that is expected to be
part of Subversion 1.15.

Previously, each release of Subversion was tied to a specific working copy
format number. Between some client versions (latest by the release of
1.8.0) changes were made to the layout of the working copy (placement and
content of the .svn folder). A particular WC could only be operated on by a
client of the correct version, so using a 1.7 client (for example an IDE
integrated client) and a 1.8 client (for example TortoiseSVN) on the same
working copy would not work. There is an expectation that Subversion 1.15
will introduce a new WC format with some additional features (most
prominent the ability to remove the "pristine" copy of each file, basically
dividing the space requirement for a working copy in half at the expense of
some additional network traffic). Since there is a trade-off in the new WC
format it is expected that not everyone want to update, and even then some
might be locked in to old clients that *cannot* be updated. Therefor,
Subversion 1.15 will introduce a possibility to work with multiple WC
formats within the same client.

There is a more in-depth description in the Subversion 1.15 release notes,
draft version at [1].

I have started to look at implementing support for this feature in
TortoiseSVN.

1. Is there someone else looking at it as well, so we can cooperate?
2. I would propose to create a /branches/multi-format-wc based on current
/trunk. Any opinions?

Kind regards,
Daniel

[1] https://subversion-staging.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.15.html