For some reason when using the command line merge for some of my
repositories it regularly requires a cleanup, sometimes 2 or 3 times before
I can get a merge through.

I've then noticed using explorer to do the merge with the same info will go
through on the first try - even after it's right after trying with the
command line trigger and it asking to be cleaned. So I can only assume it's
something to do with this method.

ie, cmd command I'm using for merges:
TortoiseProc.exe /command:merge /path:"%to_path%" /fromurl:%merge_from%
/revrange:"%svn_list%" 2

Which for some of my repos works fine, but then others (seems to be the
ones with larger files) ask for cleanup almost every time unless done
through the explorer right click -> merge method.

I'm aware of the svn environment variable and commands too, but for
usability purposes within my team the UI is very helpful.

Cheers,
Kieren