tl;dr: The Gnome Foundation is sponsoring a competition to generate
projects that introduce the next generation of coders -- especially from
traditionally underrepresented groups --  to FOSS and get them excited and
engaged with FOSS communities. There are **more than US$65,000 in cash
prizes** available in this three phase competition and almost [1] anyone
can enter, as an individual or as a team. The Stage 1 deadline is July 1.
[[Gina's editorial note: that idea you got that time you were at POSSE,
when you thought to yourself: "Wow -- someone should do *this thing I just
thought of*, as it'd make the path to becoming a FOSS contributor so much
more fun/interesting/understandable/easy ..."  This is the time to bring
that idea to life.]]

All the info is here:  https://www.gnome.org/challenge/

Here's a smidge more, to intrigue you further:
Help reach a new generation of open-source coders.

The GNOME Foundation, in partnership with Endless, is proud to announce the
inaugural Community Education Challenge, an exciting new opportunity to
engage beginning coders with the free and open-source software (FOSS)
community. Our goal is to encourage individuals or teams to submit
stimulating ideas that will connect the next generation of coders to the
FOSS community and keep them involved for years to come.

We’re looking for entries that are:

Fun: Makes coding interesting and participating in the FOSS community
exciting
Educational: Enhances the coding skills of a beginning coder
Engaged: Keeps a coder engaged with the FOSS community
Creative: Outside of the box entries are appreciated
Unique: Adds something new to the field or enhances something already
existing

***I don't know much more than what I posted at this time, so your best bet
for questions is the upcoming Q&A on twitter:

May 26, 2020 | 7:00-8:00 UTC
Twitter Q&A Session
Tag @GNOME <https://twitter.com/gnome> in your posts and use #GNOMEChallenge
<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GNOMEChallenge&src=typed_query> to
participate

Good luck y'all!

-gina

[1] There are some restrictions due to country laws, which you can see
here: https://www.gnome.org/challenge/faq/

--
*Gina Likins *
She / Her / Hers