Hi Dave,

Here is a link to a class period on Open Source from my introduction to
computing course that might be of interest:

https://dickinson-comp130.github.io/COMP130/classes/class03.html

Some context:

* This is our first course so many students have never programmed before.
* I do this session on the 3rd day of class after a day on Algorithmic Thinking
and a day on Algorithms and Ethics.
* The overall theme for this day is “Computing and the Greater Good.” But it
uses Open Source and Humanitarian Open Source as examples of ways to apply
computing to problems that matter to communities.
* The main idea here is to plant seeds early that computing has social value in
addition to the business value that they all are well aware of.

* They do some reading and prep before class.
* Then we do the in class activities in small discussion groups with report
outs to the full class.

* The in class activities have them look at some open source with humanitarian
goals, think about the communities and missions around the project.
* They learn just a little bit about what it means for software to be open
source, how open source development works, and licensing.
* They touch on permissive and copyleft and think about the tradeoffs between
associated with copyleft and in particular its potential social value.

Happy to discuss more if you like.  Just get in touch.

Best,
Grant

From: Dave Lillethun
<david.lillet...@tufts.edu<mailto:david.lillet...@tufts.edu>>
Subject: [TOS] Suggestions for Single Lecture about Open Source
I was hoping I could pick your brains for some ideas....? I will have a
*single* class period to teach a small class (about 20) of *non-majors*
about open source.?