From: Stefano Maffulli <stef...@opensource.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2024 11:11 AM
To: Jan Pearce <pear...@berea.edu>
Cc: Heidi Ellis <heidi.el...@wne.edu>; tos@teachingopensource.org
Subject: Re: [TOS] New open source text book!!!

[EXTERNAL SENDER]
Congratulations on publishing the book. I was browsing it casually today,
hoping to find material that the Open Source Initiative could reuse but I found
a glaring mistake in the first chapter. In "What is Open Source"
https://runestone.academy/ns/books/published/opensource/sec_oss_what_it_is.html?mode=browsing
 the book starts saying

    Open Source Software (OSS) is software for which the source code is open
for anyone to view

This is very wrong, especially since you capitalize Open Source Software.
That's a term of art,  universally recognized by industry and even by
legislators around the world as "computer software that is released under a
license in which the copyright holder grants users the rights to use, study,
change, and distribute the software and its source code to anyone and for any
purpose" That's the Wikipedia wording, but you'll find many similarly worded
definitions in US and EU guidelines and regulations.

Being able to simply view the code has never been a value of Open Source
Software.

Later the chapter says "A related type of open source software is Free and Open
Source Software (FOSS) which offers additional freedoms" which is also wrong.
FOSS is just another term for OSS. The wikipedia
entry<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software> offers more
resources, and you'll note how the definition of what is FOSS is basically
identical to that of OSS.

I really hope these issues can be fixed so that students get a better
understanding of the Open Source ecosystem.

Regards,
Stef

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 11:13 PM Jan Pearce