I think the proper way to fix this is by waiting for this kernel patch
to be applied:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg33007.html

With that in place we can then update logind to make use of it, and then
simply add the udev tag to all keyboards that are discovered, which
would then implicitly include any gpio kbd devices.

Without that kernel patch I am a bit concerned about listening to all of
the system's keypresses, as that might be a bit too much.

  gpio shutdown trigger for ProLiant m400 cartridges

Status in systemd:
  Confirmed
Status in “systemd” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “systemd” source package in Trusty:
  Triaged
Status in “systemd” source package in Utopic:

  Similar to the m800 case in LP: #1347776, udev/systemd also needs to
  know how to trigger a graceful shutdown on ProLiant m400 cartridges.

  [Impact]
  Without this change, the power down button will not initiate an OS shutdown
on this platform.
  [Test Case]
  Push button. Watch poweroff occur.
  [Regression Potential]
  The new rule is pretty tightly bound to the m400 system - so the risk of this
rule matching and impacting behavior on a different platform is minimal. This
will presumably cause new code to run and read /proc/device-tree/model on other
platforms - but this is already done for the m800 system in both utopic and
trusty.