I’ve tested silo 20 and I have to say that these changes -mainly no
clearing results when updating the model but rather as the results
arrive- have a great positive impact on the overall experience when
using scopes, so great work¡ : )

Also, the flickering/jumping of results has been palliated, or at least,
with a good network connection, it *feels* faster.

We definitely want to avoid accidental activation by tapping results
while these are updating, however, if there’s no way of “enforcing
physical location when a new item arrives”, I would NOT recommend to
make results “inactive”, even for a small amount of time. I don’t know
what the most appropriated solution could be with the challenges of the
current architecture, but I will think of/design some alternatives for
this issue.

Some other things to consider:

- Missing icons problem (see screenshot attached) - Pawel pointed that
this is not scope’s fault but rather the shell requesting icons via
thumbnailer. I’ve experienced this in several occasions, is there any
technical limitation that prevent us from solving this issue and
optimising the experience?

- We also need to account for the empty dash use cases, where some
queries provide no results at all (i.e.: try searching for ‘coffee’ in
the News aggregator = 0 results and no feedback to the user). In order
to design for this screen, I need to understand what’s happening behind
the scenes. Isn’t there a single result for this query, really?

- Also, for accessibility reasons, instead of delivering results for a
partial string we should wait for a natural pause when user is typing to
trigger the query - currently the timer is set to 300ms. My
recommendation would be to wait (at least) 700ms for user input before
firing the query, provided some feedback is presented that results are
being returned.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-api in

  [Scopes] Scope result models are cleared on updates

Status in Canonical System Image:
  In Progress
Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Fix Committed
Status in Unity Media Scanner Scope:
  Invalid
Status in unity-scopes-api package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-scopes-shell package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  The result models are cleared when updated, which causes abrupt
  changes in the dash. We need a better way for updating the models
  without clearing them :/