Humm, this doesn't seem to actually work in unity7 either.. Perhaps I
was just looking at the lock screen? I think this would end up being a
feature request if it is something we want to implement, but its not
really a bug at this time.

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

  Unity8 desktop greeter doesn't use the selected user's wallpaper

Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Install unity8-greeter
  2. Change <users>'s wallpaper
  3. Restart lightdm
  4. Select <user> in the greeter

  Expected behavior: wallpaper changes to match <user>'s session wallpaper
  Actual behavior: default wallpaper is displayed