I'm done with this for now.

The issue is not that it's technically difficult, but that our primary
customer is Unity8. And Unity8 is not presently fast enough on mobile
devices to keep up a smooth frame rate, either with constant double
buffers or with dynamic queue scaling.

** Changed in: mir

** Changed in: mir
    Milestone: 0.21.0 => None

** Changed in: mir (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mir in Ubuntu.

  [performance] Restore support for better-than-triple buffering by
  default.

Status in Mir:
  Won't Fix
Status in mir package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  We really should restore support for double-buffering where possible.
  Presently we're on triple-buffering all the time.