Should add, when this first happened I asked someone else on the team to
check the package build. That was someone in the US, so there at least
would be no special keyboard setting, only the system language which
defaults to en_US.UTF-8.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to grep in Ubuntu.

  grep switches into binary mode while processing a text file

Status in grep package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed this staring to happen in Xenial about two days ago. When
  running sbuild (or now the buildd, too), the build breaks when trying
  to compile a generated file. I traced the problem down to grep
  suddenly acting weird. When not having any language set (or a non-UTF8
  mode) it will start printing some lines of a source file and then
  suddenly end that by printing "Binary file ... matches".

  With the attached file, the difference can be observed (running
  Xenial):

  LANG=C grep -v xxx grant_table.h

  and

  LANG=C.UTF-8 grep -v xxx grant_table.h