Hi Folks,

I've solved the problem.

Luckily, before the kernel upgrade wrecked my machine, I'd backed up the
/home directories.

After a lot of grief, I managed to install 15.10 from a flash drive
(initially, the UEFI BIOS wouldn't let me boot from the CD or the flash
drive).

Changing the kernel from 3.13.74 to 4.2.0 seems to have nailed the
problem.  I now have sound and HDMI output.

Hope someone will close this bug report, as it doesn't seem to be an
option for me..

Thanks for all the help from you guys.

John M.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [Inspiron 5559, Realtek ALC255, Speaker, Internal] No sound at all
  playback write error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)

Status in ALSA driver:
  Unknown
Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  No sound, either on headphones or internal speakers.  Have been all
  over forums, tried every fix I can find.  The installation is new, and
  it's on a new Dell 5559.

  Sound is not muted, and I believe the settings are correct, but it's
  hard to be sure, as each answer I find seems to have slightly
  differing advice, albeit a lot in common.

  Would be really helpful if your best and most complete FAQ answers
  were locked in one place, sorted by Ubuntu release:  otherwise there's
  no way to tell which helpful suggestions/solutions are really correct.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-74.118-generic 3.13.11-ckt30
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-74-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.19
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  john       2107 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Dec 30 14:25:38 2015
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64 (20140417)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:PCH failed
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTestStderr:
   W r i t e   e r r o r :   - 5 , I n p u t / o u t p u t   e r r o r
    x r u n _ r e c o v e r y   f a i l e d :   - 5 , I n p u t / o u t p u t
e r r o r
    T r a n s f e r   f a i l e d :   I n p u t / o u t p u t   e r r o r
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - HDA Intel PCH
  Symptom_DevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  john       2107 F.... pulseaudio
  Symptom_Jack: Speaker, Internal
  Symptom_Type: No sound at all
  Title: [Inspiron 5559, Realtek ALC255, Speaker, Internal] No sound at all
  dmi.bios.date: 09/16/2015
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 1.0.6
  dmi.board.name: 0664DJ
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A00
  dmi.chassis.type: 9
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvr1.0.6:bd09/16/2015:svnDellInc.:pnInspiron5559:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0664DJ:rvrA00:cvnDellInc.:ct9:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: Inspiron 5559
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.