This could very well be a problem further down in kms or elsewhere in the
graphics stack.
I recently updated from vivid to wily.
I had a very reliable setup of being able to connect an external monitor to my
macbook display port for an "extended" dektop view (not clone). This now
flickers in quadrants, and the flickering quadrants on the monitor
video shows it best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElXAyX93Uqw

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

--
[regression] multi monitor, display port to hdmi not working
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1474546