Looks like the tutorial thinks its on a phone instead of a desktop.
It's supposed to skip that screen on the desktop.  I'm guessing at one
point you changed the windowed mode to be staged or something?

I'll look at if we can be cleverer.

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Michael Terry (mterry)

  "Swipe from the left edge to open the launcher" - do not work on the
  desktop

Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Can not unlock my desktop, swipe is not work.

  Package: unity8 8.12+16.04.20160330-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Mar 31 19:29:50 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Alpha amd64 (20160307)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=ru
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>