Public bug reported:

Hello,

I had the following recurrent  problems during upgrade from ubuntu 14.04
LTS 64 bi to ubutntu 15.10

steps to reproduce the bug :
ubuntu settings
1. go to the system settings.
2. Click software update
3. On the update tab make sure you have selected
4. notify me of a new ubuntu version is set to "for any new version"

Steps to reproduce
1. "go to software update and start the upgrade process"
2. problem : . when the download process is finished during the install
process, the user session is locked so you see the login screen
3. When you try to enter your password and press return your valid password is
not recognized so the scream turn to black and the login screen is show again.
- you can try again and again and again.
--> to exit this infinity loop, I have restarted  my laptop without any device
connected
--> so I can work only I the terminal and when I try to install any package I
see the package database is brocken

So my workaround was :
1. take another computer to create an ubuntu 15.10 64 bit dvd
2. Start the ubuntu computer with the dvd
3. select install
4- At the install option screen  select the first option. "reinstalll ubuntu"

Question
Could you fix this bug to allow the automatic upgrade work successfully ?

Best regards

Battant

** Affects: init-system-helpers (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "My package list"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1570030/+attachment/4635923/+files/liste-des-paquets_14.04_01_11_2015.txt

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to init-system-helpers in

  problem during upgrade from ubuntu 14.04 to ubutntu 15.10

Status in init-system-helpers package in Ubuntu: