Right, if something in the user session does not terminate upon SIGTERM
and stays around, we will wait for that amount of time for it to shut
down. This is a safety measure to avoid hard-killing user processes
which still need to save documents or other data. A long shutdown time
is an inconvenience for sure, but this is better than losing data by
instantly killing hanging processes.

It would be better to find out the particular process that's hanging
(see "Debugging boot/shutdown problems" in
/usr/share/doc/systemd/README.Debian.gz) and file a bug against that.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  A stop job for user session delays shutdown on Xenial

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  On at least Xubuntu 16.04 a message saying that a stop job is running
  for a user (the user account which was logged in to) sometimes appears
  on shutdown (or reboot) and delays the shutdown process (by 90 seconds
  by default). This problem used to occur on previous versions of some
  distributions but was fixed, as far as I remember, on Fedora. I am
  unable to find out details of what is causing this.