heh,  indeed. It's not a showstopper :-)

I can imagine that some people would go ballistic over "telinit not working".
So it seemed to be important to file the bug anyway.

Thank you for your quick response (and for looking into it).

  [Xenial] systemctl isolate xxxxx.target  fails

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  when logged in normally::

  typed from terminal:
      systemctl isolate rescue.target

  expected:
      root prompt (or friendly rescue menu)

  instead:
      login prompt
      system reports "shutdown" whenever I try to login
      login fails

  when in rescue mode::

  typed from terminal:
      systemctl isolate graphical.target

  expected:
      lightdm greeter

  instead:
       hang on splash (plymouth)

  It doesn't matter if I use systemctl , init or telinit; results stay
  the same.