+Olivier Tilloy Never hiding it in desktop mode should be very
obvious... but this is something of a middle ground where it's being
used in tablet mode.  The screen is large enough to switch into the
tabbed mode, but it's still using a touch interface on a small screen...
I'm not sure what the best thing to do there is, I certainly enjoy the
"full browser" experience on the tablet even in touch mode, so I would
definitely not want to go back to the mobile interface...

Short of some other solution which does not force the viewport to change
(like bringing in the url bar over the top of the rendered HTML, rather
than changing the size of the viewport)... I can't see much other
option, I think google does leave the URL bar there on android in this
context.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.

  plus.google.com re-layouts horizontally when the top bar shows/hides

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in Oxide:
  Invalid
Status in Ubuntu UX:
  New
Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:

  Some sites have a menu bar at the top, which appears or disappears
  depending if you scroll up or down... the presence or absence of this
  bar causes the browser app to change it's scaling, and this means that
  scrolling up/down while browsing results in the device continually re-
  rendering as it re-scales the page...

  This badly afffects google+ and presumably other google properties...

  See example here:-

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYhu9v4aX6w