I know it's a long time, but I'm cleaning up old NTP bugs atm.

While it is true that the comments could (have been) be more explicit
the risk of being part of a DRDoS attach has been fixed upstream. See
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/AccessRestrictions#Section_6.5.1.1.3.

Recent releases have these versions (or newer), therefore setting fix
released.

** Changed in: ntp (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ntp in Ubuntu.

  Warn on noquery in ntp.conf

Status in ntp package in Ubuntu:

  The "restrict" row comments of the default /etc/ntp.conf configuration
  file should more explicity warn(!) against the dropping on "noquery"
  or similar options, because their removal might cause the server to
  become vulenrable to (become a party in) DoS attacks.

  Many admins have mistakenly removed the block, thinking they have
  either enabled the server to be queried from the subnet in question or
  made it more usable by doing so. This resulted in a number of
  reflection attacks via NTP we have been seeing in the past few days.