This happened to me, too. I installed Multi-Core System Monitor for just
a moment and noticed the steadily growing memory usage. Worse, removing
the applet did not stop the leak. The leak didn't stop until the next
system reboot (presumably restarting polkitd would have also worked, but
I didn't try it since I wasn't sure how safe it was).

But since there's no way to know if this was the trigger for the
original bug report or earlier commenters, perhaps the MCSM case should
be opened as a separate, specific bug against policykit?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to policykit-1 in Ubuntu.

  PolicyKit high memory usage

Status in policykit-1 package in Ubuntu:

  Periodically I install updates on my computer and reboot without
  logging in. When I come back to my computer and log in, polkitd is
  using a large chunk of memory. At the moment it's using > 2.3 GiB of
  memory on a machine with 8 GB RAM:

  $ ps aux | grep polkit
  root      1229  0.4 29.8 2652532 2420916 ?     Sl   Jun19  67:38
/usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd --no-debug

  Killing the process frees the memory until I reboot again.

  I'm currently using the latest version of policykit-1:

  $ apt-file search /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd
  policykit-1: /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd

  $ apt-cache policy policykit-1
  policykit-1:
    Installed: 0.105-4ubuntu2.14.04.1
    Candidate: 0.105-4ubuntu2.14.04.1
    Version table:
   *** 0.105-4ubuntu2.14.04.1 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       0.105-4ubuntu2 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

  $ sudo apt-get upgrade policykit-1
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Calculating upgrade... Done
  policykit-1 is already the newest version.

  Other information:

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  Package: policykit-1 0.105-4ubuntu2.14.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-41.55~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt11
  Uname: Linux 3.16.0-41-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.11
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jun 30 16:14:51 2015
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140723)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
   TERM=xterm