Pretty sure this is not a scope implementation bug.

Scopes just get their location passed in from unity-scope-shell.

I notice that nearby scope shows the gps derived precise location, and
that scope uses the same shared object as the today scope, so when an
agg scope (today, nearby, news, photos) has it, it uses it.

Adding unity-scope-shell task.

** Also affects: unity-scopes-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: today-scope

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-scopes-shell in

  [Ubuntu Touch] Today Scope doesn't display current location status

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in Today Scope:
  Triaged
Status in unity-scopes-shell package in Ubuntu:

  Today scope doesn't display a users current location.  It is confusing
  for the weather, sunrise and sunset information as it is not clear
  what location that is for.  It came to my attention as I'm on
  corporate VPN and Today-Scope is proving information based on IP
  address, which for me, is thousands of kilometers away.  My Aquaris
  M10 tablet is also inside so is not picking up GPS signal.

  When I enable GPS only, Today-Scope still defaults back to IP address
  location data.  Appears that there is no way to manually set location
  and when I set location in The Weather Channel app it defaults back to
  IP location when I switch back to Today-Scope.