I see two issues with using time zone abbreviations like this.

First, I think many more people know the name of a city in their time
zone, than know the name of their time zone. For example, I lived in
London for several years before learning that daylight savings time is
called BST.

Second, there are many time zones that have the same abbreviation. For
example, there are two time zones abbreviated “ACT”, two “ADT”, two
“AMST”, two “AMT”, and two “AST”, and those are just the ones starting
with A. <http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/>

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-datetime in

  Adding time zones to locations of indicator-datetime

Status in indicator-datetime package in Ubuntu:

  Dear all,

  May I suggest the feature to add time zones, e.g. CEST, EDT, directly
  to the very useful locations menu?

  Currently only city names are supported.

  I am attaching two screenshots:

  1. showing the locations menu
  2. a mockup of how I envision the time zone to be represented in the indicator

  Thankfully,

  ~Robert