I got an update to the camera today (M10 tablet, OTA10.1) but can't find
any way to find out the version.  There is no 'about' box with the
camera

The photographs are much better in low light, but the videos are still
very dark.  But well done for sorting out the stills.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to camera-app in Ubuntu.

  [MX4] Photos are blurry and underexposed in low light conditions

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Fix Committed
Status in camera-app package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  photos taken by MX4 are blurry and underexposed.
  First one is really annoying, I can't take even one good sharp photo and I
don't know why. Second one is maybe because of bad synchronization time of
flashing and taking shot; I think that because, when I record video with lamp,
everything is great, problem is only for photos.
  I know that smartphones are not great for night photos, but I've used before
worse and cheaper low-end phones with no-name lens and photos was significantly
better.
  Please tell me, if you need more information. I will try to provide them.