Placing the *.override file into /usr/share/upstart/xdg/ also does not
help. This is the $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/upstart/ item in the "User Session
Mode" man page section.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upstart in Ubuntu.

  *.override files do not work for session jobs

Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:

  bamfdaemon ships a session job
  /usr/share/upstart/sessions/bamfdaemon.conf. According to upstart(5)
  it should be possible to disable that with an override:

    $ cat /usr/share/upstart/sessions/bamfdaemon.override
    manual

  but this doesn't work, bamfdaemon is still started. I also tried to
  put "start on disabled" into the *.override file, no effect either.

  (Background: I'm trying to migrate jobs to systemd units one by one,
  thus for every systemd user unit that I add I need to disable the
  corresponding upstart job).

  Package: upstart 1.13.2-0ubuntu23
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64