There is another pressing issue. When I tried to compile OpenCV 3.1.0
from source, it complains that GCC versions later than 4.9 are not
supported. The version of GCC that ships with Ubuntu 16.04 is 5.3.1 I
think, which is nice. So the fact that OpenCV doesn't support it is a
real shame. I desperately need OpenCV 3.x for my work and this is a
massive setback.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to opencv in Ubuntu.

  Update OpenCV version for 16.04

Status in opencv package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in opencv package in Debian:

  The Ubuntu 16.04 alpha still only contains OpenCV 2.4. It would be
  really good to update to OpenCV 3.1 for a distribution to be released
  in 2016, as the 2.4 series is getting quite old.