I understand this is not great UX, from a user perspective some sites
used to work and they don’t anymore. There is not much we can do about
it though: the web engine the browser app uses is based on chromium, and
chromium is intentionally denying geolocation requests on insecure
origins starting with version 50. See
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=561641 for a
detailed discussion.

I verified that chromium on desktop and chrome on android behave exactly the
same: they deny the geolocation request.
Firefox currently accepts them, but I read somewhere that they are considering
deprecating the feature in the same manner, so it’s only a matter of time
before the feature stops working there too.

Note that before blocking the feature, it had been marked deprecated
long in advance, and web developers would get a message in the
javascript console warning that the feature would eventually be blocked.
metoffice.gov.uk and streetmap.co.uk have ignored that warning, and that
results in bad UX. This is unfortunate, but again there is not much we
can do about it (nothing really), as we’re not getting a signal from
chromium that a request has been denied because it originated from an
insecure origin.

Thanks for forwarding the info to the UK met office, I’m sure they’ll
consider addressing it asap.

** Changed in: webbrowser-app (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to webbrowser-app in Ubuntu.

  Applications with permission for location claim they don't

Status in webbrowser-app package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  OTA11 - same problem on BQ4.5phone & M10 tablet.

  Hurray! Location works on the tablet at last.. HERE maps can get a
  position.

  But I can't use the location in the browser or a browser-like web
  app.. It used to work on the phone in OTA10.1