I'm installing via PXEBoot/kickstart, and have an unpacked xenial-
alternate-amd64.iso image on a separate server (admin-
server.example.com), which is initially being used for the various
packages. I'm using the version from 31st May 2016, size 774897664.

I've attached /var/log/syslog from the installation (with IP addresses
and domain names obfuscated).

Looking at this now, it does appear that something goes wrong earlier
(I'm not used to looking at installation logs), but the util-linux error
comes in at line 2010: insserv rejected the script header.

It may be that there's a more fundamental problem with my set-up, but it
seemed to correspond fairly well to the problem in the bug report linked
to above.

** Attachment added: "syslog.gz"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/1588287/+attachment/4678127/+files/syslog.gz

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  util-linux breaks xenial installation

Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in util-linux source package in Trusty:
  Incomplete
Status in util-linux package in Debian:

  Attempting to install xenial from an alternate install image xenial-
  alternate-amd64.iso triggered the bug reported at:

  and fixed by the patch at:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/pkg-util-
  linux.git/commit/?id=49a9f9ff0cdb64c02b12c2a00af30472305bc377

  The patch was made on util-linux-2.28-2 but can be applied easily to
  2.27.1-6ubuntu3 as found in xenial, so I back-ported the patch onto my
  local copy of the iso and can confirm that the installation got past
  the installation of util-linux.