It's unlikely, or at least unclear that unity8 can/should do anything
here.

** Also affects: powerd (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: unity8 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: canonical-devices-system-image
     Assignee: Michał Sawicz (saviq) => Stephen M. Webb (bregma)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity-system-compositor in

  Frequent pocket interactions with turbo (proximity sensor should be
  enabled on lockscreen)

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in powerd package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity-system-compositor package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Dogfooding turbo, it very frequently happens to me that I wake up the
  device in the pocket (probably home button press) and either launch
  the emergency call dialer, or enter the wrong pin many times in a row
  so that the device is then locked for 5 minutes when I want to use it.
  Also changing all sorts of settings in the indicator has happened a
  couple of times already.

  The solution would be to enable the proximity sensor while on the
  lockscreen (not only during notifications, but in general) and not
  actually turning the screen on if the sensor is covered.

  One could argue that the home button should not wake up the device,
  however, I'm also testing the fingerprint reader and just pressing the
  home button with my thumb to wake up the device and directly unlock
  it, is the best thing ever. If we'd disable the home button from
  waking up the device, it would require me to first press the button on
  the side, and then move the finger down to the home button to unlock
  it, which breaks the awesomeness of the fingerprint reader. So we
  should keep the home button enabled, but as proposed above, take the
  proximity sensor into use to prevent the accidental pocket presses.

  Also, in the future we might want to wake up the screen by double-
  tapping on it, which again would require the proximity sensor to guard
  the situation.