looking at the keyboard source code - it indeed looks impossible not
only to add custom symbols without recompiling - but no modifier keys
are ever possible to be sent as the keyboard acts as text editor (for
autocorrect, etc) and does not directly send keycode events to Mir. So
there does not seem to be any straightforward way to enable modifier or
any special keys.

It may be easier to implement sending direct keyboard events as a
separate service and then crafting a client into ubuntu-keyboard to talk
to it and use the keyboard as an UI only to send real events, like have
a "^C" button, etc.. otherwise it will require a huge rewrite of the
logic

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-keyboard in Ubuntu.

  [OSK] Ubuntu Touch should allow alternative keyboard layouts

Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Triaged
Status in ubuntu-keyboard package in Ubuntu:

  It would be nice if alternative keyboard layouts were available for
  Ubuntu Touch.

  On Android devices I use the Hacker's Keyboard
  https://code.google.com/p/hackerskeyboard/ from F-Droid

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard&fdid=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard
  as this allows customisation and easy access to keys such as Ctrl,
  Esc, !, : and - and these are keys that take a lot of key presses with
  the current Ubuntu touch keyboard (I use vim). In addition key
  combinations such as Ctrl-n and Ctrl-p (next and previous channel in
  IRSSI) are not possible with the current Ubuntu Touch keyboard.

  Having said the above the gestures, double tap for tab, swipe up, down
  , left and right for the arrow keys is great and I now find myself
  trying to use these gestures on Android devices...