I had the same problem but it started after I uncomment the following
line in the /etc/default/grub file:

#GRUB_TERMINAL=console.

I commented it again and the PC start to shutdown again without
problems.

I commented this line at first because I had a problem with my screen
resolution mode... it was always as 640x400 so I commented that line and
my system let me choose another mode. Of course when I commented the
line again the resolution started again in 640x400, but I changed the
line

GRUB_GFXMODE=640x400 to GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 and it works fine in this
mode... I will try other modes later but maybe this can help you all.

The GRUB_TERMINAL line is related to the graphical terminal and the line
GRUB_GFXMODE is related to the Mode of the graphical terminal.

  Swap Failed, Indefinite hang on reboot/shutdown "Reached target
  Shutdown"

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  This bug has been affecting me since 15.04
  Prior to shutdown I activate debug-shell 'systemctl start debug-shell'
  I have followed bug #1464917 and installed Xenial-proposed with systemd
229-4ubuntu5 package.
  I have finally collected shutdown info using vt9.
  Issues collecting info due to what I believe is a timeout where vt9 is not
activated when ctl+alt+F9 is pressed.  I was able to collect info in vt9 to
file "shutdown.text" I appended outputs to file "shutdown.text" the following
commands in this order:
  systemctl list-jobs >>shutdown.text
  systemctl --failed >>shutdown.text
  uname -a >>shutdown.text
  systemd --version >>shutdown.text
  lsblk >>shutdown.text
  blkid >>shutdown.text
  journalctl -b >>shutdown.text
  systemctl -all >>shutdown.text
  journalctl -xe >>shutdown.text

  After gaining these data I was only able to finish the reboot with the
alt+Sysrq and REISUB which forces a reboot even when I just want to shutdown
  Each output I separated upon next boot by hand with a line
######################### for easier perusing.

  As a workaround for shutdown/reboot I turn swap off, 'sudo swapoff -a
  && systemctl poweroff' or 'sudo swapoff -a && reboot'  which
  occasionally fails if SWAP has more data than available RAM.  In that
  latter case I am left waiting for the hang and then using
  alt+Sysrq+REISUB to reboot then shutdown again immediately upon boot
  before SWAP has a chance to gain data, then I can use any form of
  halt, poweroff or menu to shutdown.

  I have been unable to get answers from AskUbuntu or the above listed
  bug #1464917 "Reached target Shutdown"  I am filing this bug per
  instructions requested in that bug.  Other systemd bugs I have
  researched #788303 Debian bug reports, #2930 Github and #3087 Github.

  Thanks for your time and efforts to help with this issue.

  Package: systemd 229-4ubuntu5
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64