See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-
setup/+bug/657551/comments/23 .

The recipe more explicitly:

sudo cp /usr/share/consolefonts/Uni2-Fixed16.psf.gz /etc/console-setup/
sudo gunzip etc/console-setup/Uni2-Fixed16.psf.gz
sudo sed -i 's:^CODESET=.*:CODESET="Uni2":' /etc/default/console-setup

And this comment gives, I think, a hint at the proper solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/609775/comments/4
 --
that is: the installer should figure out which consolefont to install.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to nano in Ubuntu.

  On the console block characters are shown instead of pretty quotes

Status in nano package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 dev with nano 2.5.3-2 and on going to the
  console and setting LANG to de_DE.UTF-8 I'm noticing that changing an
  existing file with nano and aborting the changes with CTRL + X does
  show before and after the word "Nein" a black square instead of the
  characters „ and “ as they are shown on a terminal.