I was just bitten by the fact that cgmanager is disabled during distro
upgrades.  I work on this stuff all of the time and took me a while to
remember/figure out what the issue is.  I can imagine users less
experienced than me to want to throw their machine out of the window:)
Oddly, the only clue I could find was in ~/.xsession-errors and this is
not even an X session!

Is there anything we can possible do to ensure cgmanager is enabled and
started after distro upgrades?  Ideally, we would figure out why it's
being disabled in the first place, but maybe as a workaround, we can add
some check in a postinst script somewhere (ubuntu-app-launch? unity8
-desktop-session?) that would enable and start cgmanager.

We really need to address this!  Comments?

  applications close instantly when launched from the launcher or dash

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in cgmanager package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubuntu-app-launch package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in unity8-desktop-session package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  xenial
  applications close instantly when launched from the launcher or dash
  but... if i launch the apps from a VT (for ex firefox using Xmir or gedit
native --), the app loads ok.

  what close instantly means.. it opens the window and then it closes
  instantly in ~0.3s