I hope this upstream change set will do the trick:

https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/62242

Re comment 11, I looked at Mesa to see how they were distinguishing
client and server GL and applied that to my code (see comments in change
set).

To summarise the issue: the tricks that we were playing to prevent the X
server from loading our GL libraries, which unlike Mesa are designed to
be client only, were not working here, and the X server process was
failing when our libraries tried to call a function (RTR3InitDll) in
another library which gets loaded by clients but which the X server was
not (not sure why).  I refined the tricks by studying how Mesa handles
detecting being loaded by the server (technically being loaded for use
with GBM rather than with X11) and in addition got rid of the immediate
dependency which was failing.

Was that at all helpful?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  "low-graphics mode" in VirtualBox guest, but X server running

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  I sometimes get the "low-graphics mode" message when starting an
  Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine inside of VirtualBox (current development
  code trunk, somewhere past version 5.1 beta 3 and a debug build).
  When I switch to VT-7 I find the X server running without any visible
  issues (I am the upstream developer of the guest graphics drivers, so
  I have a reasonable but not infallible understanding of the X server).

  The virtual machine has Guest Additions installed, same vintage and
  also a debug build.  Two screens are enabled as is 3D acceleration.
  The host system is also Ubuntu 16.04.  I am still trying to work out
  what triggers the message, but in my last attempts a cold boot failed
  to produce it, while a clean reboot did, but only when the host system
  was not under load (under load as in building VirtualBox).

  Searching the lightdm log files led me to the message "CRITICAL **:
  session_get_login1_session_id: assertion 'session != NULL' failed",
  which in turn led me to this similar-looking Debian bug:

  Package: lightdm 1.18.1-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Jul  7 10:49:27 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: lightdm

  IRC discussion at:

    https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2016/07/07/%23ubuntu-devel.html#t07:52