Public bug reported:

In the wget man page, the command line options --ca-certificate and
--ca-directory have the sentence: "Without this option Wget looks for CA
certificates at the system-specified locations, chosen at OpenSSL
installation time."  To me, that implies that *with* these options, the
system-specified locations are *not* searched.  (That would be useful if
the sysadmin has installed certificates that the user doesn't trust.)
However, it appears that even with these options, the system SSL
directory /usr/lib/ssl/certs (symlink to /etc/ssl/certs) is still
searched.

Running

wget --ca-certificate=/dev/null --ca-directory=/nonexistent
https://www.google.com

succeeds.  I would expect it to fail, having no trusted CA certificate.
strace reveals that it reads a certificate from /usr/lib/ssl/certs.

Either the code should be fixed, or the man page should be clarified.

Package: wget 1.17.1-1ubuntu1.1
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-05-27 (57 days ago)

** Affects: wget (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug xenial

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to wget in Ubuntu.

  wget uses system CA certificates even when told not to

Status in wget package in Ubuntu: