Hi,

1.) Brother MFC-J5910DW printer/scanner (Linux supported by Brother)
2.) Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit

Had the slow print problem in 14.04 LTS 64-bit, now upgraded and it's
got worse. Now running 30+ mins waiting time for first print of a one
page .pdf.

I am leaving overnight but I am not hopeful.

Given all the other similar problems listed on the net, this looks like
a generic, widespread issue.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Slow Printing

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: cups

  https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+question/130990

  have Ubuntu 10.10 all my updates are installed as of this post. I am
  connected to a wireless router and my printer is hardwired to the
  router using Cat 6 UTP wire. My printer is a brother HL-2170W series
  printer which is a laser printer. My computer can print to the
  printer, however it take a really long time to process the job. I have
  messed other things up with Ubuntu in the past so it is very possible
  that I have messed something up again. My biggest issues with print
  speed seem to be with .pdf files and printing directly from web pages,
  however a 2-3 page open office word document can take ten minutes or
  more to print.