Today I hat therese same issue after the reboot the network-indicator
disappeared and it was only visible when I was scrolling through the different
indicator tabs of the drop down notification bar. In the system settings I was
not able to change wifi or mobile data settings. A factory reset resolved this
issue for me.
Extra hint, this morning my phone told me that the internal storage would not
have any free space left, although system settings and my Ubuntu-notebook told
me that my phone had ~600mb free storage. I'll post a screenshot when I am at
home and are connected to my Wifi.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-network in

  network indicator not work, completely gone

Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu:

  I tried to go online on Ubuntu phone, but it would not go online, although
phone connection available.
  When selecting Flight mode, it was still connected to telephone network but
not internet.

  After rebooting, the network indicator disappeared from my phone. I can no
longer make or receive calls or use it as a phone. Even after rebooting again
it does not come back.
  So no network indicator there any more.

  This is further to other serious issues recently, where web browser
  stopped working, messaging app stopped working, now I cannot even use
  it as a phone.

  If this cannot be fixed would a complete Reset do the trick?