Recommend closing this bug...  Here's why.

TL;DR: libopencv-dev provides /usr/share/OpenCV/OpenCVConfig.cmake etc

I experienced a bizarre bug, though:

On xenial (16.04), having a CMakeLists.txt with a find_package(OpenCV
REQUIRED) gave me an error:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:9 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindOpenCV.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "OpenCV", but
  CMake did not find one.

This error leads to a fruitless hunt for FindOpenCV.cmake which leads to
this bug report.  However, the above error should never have happened,
because xenial libopencv-dev does provide the needed files in
/usr/share/OpenCV/  The error went away, for me, after running  cmake
--trace and after that, the error goes away, and becomes
unreproducible(!) (despite being highly reproducible for hours...)  I'm
befuddled. However

TL;DR: libopencv-dev provides /usr/share/OpenCV/OpenCVConfig.cmake etc.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to opencv in Ubuntu.

  MIssing cmake files

Status in opencv package in Ubuntu:

  This two files are part of libopencv-core-dev package in 12.04:
  /usr/share/OpenCV/OpenCVConfig.cmake
  /usr/share/OpenCV/OpenCVConfig-version.cmake

  But they disappeared in 12.10 and 13.04.
  This is causing problems when compiling projects using cmake and opencv.