Does that kernel support IPv6, i. e. does socket_ipv6_is_supported()
succeed and the whole AF_INET6 setup is actually done?

I. e. is the problem the mere existence of the IFLA_AF_SPEC container in
the netlink message (which already isn't supported by the kernel) or
only trying to set the IPv6 settings?

I. e. it might help to not create the container at all if
!socket_ipv6_is_supported(), i. e. move the open/close_container()
inside that if()? (that would only help if the kernel has IPv6 disabled)

  Networkd fails to configure a ethernet network device on a 3.4 kernel

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Knowing that a 3.4 based kernel is unsupported we have to get it
  working for a specific customer.

  Systemd itself boots up nicely already but networkd fails to configure
  a network device with the following configuration file in
  /etc/systemd/network

  $ cat /etc/systemd/network/enp1s0.network
  [Match]
  Name=enp1s0

  [Network]
  DNS=8.8.8.8
  Address=192.168.178.30
  Gateway=192.168.178.1

  This gives the following error messages

  $ sudo /lib/systemd/systemd-networkd
  Enumeration completed
  enp1s0: Could not bring up interface: Invalid argument
  enp1s0: Could not set route: Invalid argument

  ifupdown or NetworkManager is reliable able to get the same interface
  up and configured.