Would there be any other ways to show the overlay? For example by
flicking the Flickable really fast? Then maybe it is better to use a
property of the flickable.

Also, to keep the APIs consistent, maybe there should be property
'pressed' which is similar to MouseArea.pressed. Also, we can have a
look at the API for QtQuickControls 2 Scrollbar, which has a 'pressed'
and 'active' property: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-
controls2-scrollbar.html

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-ui-toolkit in

  ScrollBars and ScrollView - add 'isDragged' or 'isScrolling' property

Status in ubuntu-ui-toolkit package in Ubuntu:

  I'm trying to implement a "page indicator" to be shown when the user
  scrolls a Flickable using a UITK ScrollBar. The idea is to mimic a
  feature available in Adobe Reader for Android.

  i.e. http://imgur.com/a/OzjYG

  In order to do this, I have to access the "draggingThumb" property of
  the style instance of a UITK ScrollBar, which is meant to be private.

  Item {
      [...]
      visible: scrollView.verticalScrollbar.__styleInstance.draggingThumb
  }

  What it could be useful is to expose this property directly in the ScrollBar.
  Using the Flickable properties for this purpose would be a bit complicated,
since it wouldn't be desiderable to see such overlay during an "ordinary"
touch/flick event.