I ran into this with iSCSI root.  Installing cloud-init resulted in
problems rebooting.

If I install the ifupdown patch (without cloud-init installed), that
triggers the bug for me.

Spinning up a clean instance, installing cloud-init, letting it run (so
the conditions that cause the bug are triggered), then installing the
ifupdown package also fails to fix the reboot problems.  I've confirmed
this persists after the next boot as well.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ifupdown in Ubuntu.

  networking stop incorrectly disconnects from (network) root filesystem

Status in MAAS:
  Triaged
Status in ifupdown package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ifupdown source package in Xenial:

  With the switch to systemd, all support for iscsi root (and other)
  filesystems disappeared, since shutdown yanks the rug out from under
  us.

  Rather than just relying on /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs (which d-i
  creates..), the DEV check should be expanded to include iscsi devices,
  and networking.service ExecStop should honor those checks.

  Related bugs:
    * bug 1229458: grub2 needed changes
    * bug 1621615: network not configured when ipv6 netbooted into cloud-init
    * bug 1621507: ipv6 network boot does not work

  [Impact]

  With the changes from the above, the iscsi root (at least in the ipv6
  case) gets disconneceted prior to clean shutdown (ifdown downs the
  interface), resulting in a failure to enlist, commission, or deploy
  cleanly under MAAS. (and a failure to cleanly unmount the root
  filesystem when it is over iscsi.)

  [Test Case]

  Given a MAAS 2.0 installation, and the packages in the other bugs,
  attempt to enlist, commission, or deploy a host with xenial.

  [Regression potential]

  This restores the pre-xenial behavior of not shutting down the
  interface if there are network drives at the time that neworking is
  stopped (making it a no-op.)  The additional change is to detect
  "/dev/disk/by-path/*-iscsi-*" as a network disk, replacing the check
  for the existence of /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs, which was only
  created by debian-installer (and maas until recently).