I think I will just go forward and start preparing the release of dbus
with this fix in zesty and then backporting it to yakkety and xenial.
Upstream didn't seem to officially review the fix or provide any
feedback on our test results, but the fix is enough high-priority to
consider including it anyway. I will of course get someone to review all
this, but I suppose we'll be pushing upstream about it separately.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dbus in Ubuntu.

  systemd-logind must be restarted every ~1000 SSH logins to prevent a
  ~25 second delay

Status in D-Bus:
  Unknown
Status in systemd:
  Unknown
Status in dbus package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in dbus source package in Xenial:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in dbus source package in Yakkety:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd source package in Yakkety:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I noticed on a system that accepts large numbers of SSH connections
  that after awhile, SSH sessions were taking ~25 seconds to complete.

  Looking in /var/log/auth.log, systemd-logind starts failing with the
  following:

  Jun 10 23:55:28 test sshd[3666]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for
user ubuntu by (uid=0)
  Jun 10 23:55:28 test systemd-logind[105]: New session c1052 of user ubuntu.
  Jun 10 23:55:28 test systemd-logind[105]: Failed to abandon session scope:
Transport endpoint is not connected
  Jun 10 23:55:28 test sshd[3666]: pam_systemd(sshd:session): Failed to create
session: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

  I reproduced this in an LXD container by doing something like:

  lxc launch ubuntu:x test
  lxc exec test -- login -f ubuntu
  ssh-import-id <whatever>

  Then ran a script as follows (passing in ubuntu@<container-ip>):

  while [ 1 ]; do
      (time ssh $1 "echo OK > /dev/null") 2>&1 | grep ^real >> log
  done

  In my case, after 1052 logins, the 1053rd and thereafter were taking
  25+ seconds to complete. Here are some snippets from the log file:

  $ cat log | grep 0m0 | wc -l
  1052

  $ cat log | grep 0m25 | wc -l
  4