Hi, I believe I have the same issue, however there's differences that
you installed Ubuntu 16.10 using chroot, while I installed Ubuntu 16.10
using netboot(and then tasksel ubuntu-desktop), here are the
investigation results:

## Possible Cause ##
The problem seems to be lies on the new override config introduced in 16.10:

```
  * debian/10-globally-managed-devices.conf: ship a default config to
    explicitly unmanage anything that is not wifi or wwan: we definitely want
    NM to manage wifi and mobile data; and probably don't want it to touch
    wired in many cases.
```

which is installed at /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-
managed-devices.conf , with the following content:

```
[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=*,except:type:wifi,except:type:wwan
```

that unmanages all network interfaces except wifi and wwan, thus
bluetooth interface in your case and ethernet case in my case are all
unmanaged by default.

According to the future changelog by Martin Pitt:

```
  * network-manager.postinst: Don't create
    /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf override on
    new installations. We don't want NM to manage non-wifi/wwan on
    servers/cloud instances, and for desktops live-build now installs a
    netplan policy snippet to let NM handle all devices.
```

This is designed to not let NM manage those interfaces except in a
desktop edition(possibly because servers normally uses the ifupdown
mechanism to manage networking), what I'm confused is:

* Why there's the need to do so when ifupdown NM plugin already provides the
ability to unmanages the network interfaces that have settings in
/etc/network/interfaces?
* Why the config still working after user installs *ubuntu-desktop, rendering
those network-interfaces unmanaged even when it is clearly not for server/cloud
usage?

## Workaround ##
Remove /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf, it works(TM)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  network-manager does not manage ethernet and bluetooth interfaces when
  Ubuntu 16.10 is installed using chroot/netboot method

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I installed Ubuntu 16.10 using a chroot. I use network-manager to
  manage connections. My system is up-to-date (so I use network-manager
  1.2.4-0ubuntu1).

  Wifi works perfectly but I cannot connect to wired networks and using
  my phone's Bluetooth connection. Corresponding devices are said to be
  unmanaged by network-manager. nmcli dev outputs:

  DEVICE                                    TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION
  enp1s0                                    ethernet  unmanaged     --
  wlp2s0                                    wifi      disconnected  --
  6C:9B:02:2C:EE:2C                         bt        unmanaged     --
  hfp/org/bluez/hci0/dev_6C_9B_02_2C_EE_2C  gsm       unmanaged     --
  lo                                        loopback  unmanaged     --

  The following command has no effect:
  sudo nmcli dev set enp1s0 managed yes

  I can connect to a wired connection by doing:
  ifconfig enp1s0 up
  dhclient enp1s0

  There is nothing in the file /etc/network/interfaces.

  Everything works perfectly if I downgrade network-manager to this
  version: network-manager_1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3_amd64.deb
  (http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/amd64/network-
  manager/download). I had to install libreadline6 and downgrade nplan
  to meet dependencies.

  I don't know what to join to this bug report so please ask in case
  anything is needed.