I can add to the list that the contacts app doesn't sync all contacts in
the google account. For me, it doesn't sync the starred contacts in
google. Not even after I have "unstarred" them in google.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to address-book-app in

  Synchronization with google is a pure mess

Status in address-book-app package in Ubuntu:

  One of my main use of the cloud is my address-book witch is shared between my
computers and my phone.
  I have about 1000 contacts in it.

  1- Synchronization duplicate some entries (and even tri or quadri -plicate)
  2- I lost about 10% of my contacts.
  4- Groups are not handled at all
  3- It does not seems to be running in the background  and must be launched
manually.

  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      15.04
  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$