Rebooting with headphones unplugged worked fine for a while; then I
suspended my laptop for an hour. When I came back and the laptop was
reactivated (by opening the lid) sound was not working. Now I went to
System Settings->Sound again, and to my surprise some new items had been
added to the Output Tab ( see attached file ). It now showed three
additional devices: "HDMI/DisplayPort: Built-in Audio",
"HDMI/DisplayPort 2: Built-in Audio", and "HDMI/DisplayPort 3: Built-in
Audio". But none of these devices worked any better than the original
"Headphones: Built-in Audio". If I now uplugged the headphones, there
was no sound from the speakers either. And if I tried to replug the
headphones, I did not get the popup window about unknown audio device,
and still no sound. (aplay -l still shows correct output). I will now
try to reboot again and see what happens. I expect I will now have come
back to my original problem where sound is permanently disabled, and the
sound card is not recognized at all.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Sound card not recognized on  Dell Vostro 5568

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  I just reinstalled a fresh Ubuntu 16.10 on my Dell Vostro 5568 laptop.

  The audio controller on the laptop is a Realtek ALC3246 with Waves
  MaxxAudio Pro. The external interface connector is a microphone
  in/stereo headphones/external speakers connector.

  When I select "System Settings->Sound" the output device in the dialog
  window shows as "Dummy Output" and when I press the "Test Sound"
  button no sound is heard from either front left or front right speaker
  ( I have ensured sound is not muted ).

  Note: Before reinstalling, I asked a question on askubuntu,com:

  http://askubuntu.com/q/841759/156688

  So reinstallation of Ubuntu 16.10 did not help on my sound problem.