An update:

To sum up the previous posts in this thread:
The problem with the internal Realtek ALC3246 soundcard of my
Dell Vostro 5568 laptop in Ubuntu (tested with 16.04 and 16.10) seems
to be related to the suspend function. The sound stops working after laptop is
suspended and sound cannot be recovered unless Ubuntu (or Windows) is
reinstalled.

Workaround:

I have now tested three USB sound cards to work around the issue with
the internal sound card:

- Deltaco UAC-03 (cheep, and bad sound quality but works out of the
  box )

- SD-UAUDV2-C119 SDM USB 2.0, 7.1 surround, Xear 3D (cheep, medium
  sound quality, works out of the box )

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD (expensive, but excellent sound
  quality, SPDIF output is not working out of the box)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Sound card not recognized on  Dell Vostro 5568

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  I just reinstalled a fresh Ubuntu 16.10 on my Dell Vostro 5568 laptop.

  The audio controller on the laptop is a Realtek ALC3246 with Waves
  MaxxAudio Pro. The external interface connector is a microphone
  in/stereo headphones/external speakers connector.

  When I select "System Settings->Sound" the output device in the dialog
  window shows as "Dummy Output" and when I press the "Test Sound"
  button no sound is heard from either front left or front right speaker
  ( I have ensured sound is not muted ).

  Note: Before reinstalling, I asked a question on askubuntu,com:

  http://askubuntu.com/q/841759/156688

  So reinstallation of Ubuntu 16.10 did not help on my sound problem.