Public bug reported:

I have a script that outputs arbitrary Unicode characters in neat
columns, but for anything outside the Basic Latin range (i.e. codepoints
> 127), the justification is off. For example, both below commands
should output a leading space:

$ printf "%2s\n" 'a'
$ printf "%2s\n" 'á'

The spacing problem starts between U+7F and U+80. If you try to print
two leading spaces, the same problem occurs between U+7FF and U+800.

This affects the binary /usr/bin/printf as well, but I'm not sure where
to report a bug for that.

Ubuntu version: 14.04.5
Bash version: 4.3-7ubuntu1.5 (latest)

** Affects: bash (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  I have a script that outputs arbitrary Unicode characters in neat
  columns, but for anything outside the Basic Latin range (i.e. codepoints
  > 127), the justification is off. For example, both below commands
  should output a leading space:

  $ printf "%2s\n" 'a'
-  a
+  a
  $ printf "%2s\n" 'á'

- This seems to affect the binary /usr/bin/printf as well, but I'm not
- sure where to report a bug for that.
+ The spacing problem seems to start between U+7F and U+80, and occur
+ again between U+7FF and U+800.
+
+ This affects the binary /usr/bin/printf as well, but I'm not sure where
+ to report a bug for that.

  Ubuntu version: 14.04.5
  Bash version: 4.3-7ubuntu1.5 (latest)

** Description changed:

  I have a script that outputs arbitrary Unicode characters in neat
  columns, but for anything outside the Basic Latin range (i.e. codepoints
  > 127), the justification is off. For example, both below commands
  should output a leading space:

  $ printf "%2s\n" 'a'
  $ printf "%2s\n" 'á'

- The spacing problem seems to start between U+7F and U+80, and occur
- again between U+7FF and U+800.
+ The spacing problem starts between U+7F and U+80. If you try to print
+ two leading spaces, the same problem occurs between U+7FF and U+800.

  This affects the binary /usr/bin/printf as well, but I'm not sure where
  to report a bug for that.

  Ubuntu version: 14.04.5
  Bash version: 4.3-7ubuntu1.5 (latest)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bash in Ubuntu.

  Printf does not properly justify non-ASCII characters

Status in bash package in Ubuntu: