The packages are still stuck in -proposed for xenial as there seems to
be an issue with another patch that was released alongside of our fix.
Until that's resolved we can't really do much...

In the meantime, is there anyone with a yakkety device that could test
the yakkety-proposed packages as well?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dbus in Ubuntu.

  systemd-logind must be restarted every ~1000 SSH logins to prevent a
  ~25 second delay

Status in D-Bus:
  Unknown
Status in systemd:
  Unknown
Status in dbus package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in dbus source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in dbus source package in Yakkety:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Yakkety:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  [Impact]

  The bug affects multiple users and introduces an user visible delay
  (~25 seconds) on SSH connections after a large number of sessions have
  been processed. This has a serious impact on big systems and servers
  running our software.

  The currently proposed fix is actually a safe workaround for the bug
  as proposed by the dbus upstream. The workaround makes uid 0 immune to
  the pending_fd_timeout limit that kicks in and causes the original
  issue.

  [Test Case]

  lxc launch ubuntu:x test
  lxc exec test -- login -f ubuntu
  ssh-import-id <whatever>

  Then ran a script as follows (passing in ubuntu@<container-ip>):

  while [ 1 ]; do
      (time ssh $1 "echo OK > /dev/null") 2>&1 | grep ^real >> log
  done

  Then checking the log file if there are any ssh sessions that are
  taking 25+ seconds to complete.

  Multiple instances of the same script can be used at the same time.

  [Regression Potential]

  The fix has a rather low regression potential as the workaround is a
  very small change only affecting one particular case - handling of uid
  0. The fix has been tested by multiple users and has been around in
  zesty for a while, with multiple people involved in reviewing the
  change. It's also a change that has been proposed by upstream.

  [Original Description]

  I noticed on a system that accepts large numbers of SSH connections
  that after awhile, SSH sessions were taking ~25 seconds to complete.

  Looking in /var/log/auth.log, systemd-logind starts failing with the
  following:

  Jun 10 23:55:28 test sshd[3666]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for
user ubuntu by (uid=0)
  Jun 10 23:55:28 test systemd-logind[105]: New session c1052 of user ubuntu.
  Jun 10 23:55:28 test systemd-logind[105]: Failed to abandon session scope:
Transport endpoint is not connected
  Jun 10 23:55:28 test sshd[3666]: pam_systemd(sshd:session): Failed to create
session: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

  I reproduced this in an LXD container by doing something like:

  lxc launch ubuntu:x test
  lxc exec test -- login -f ubuntu
  ssh-import-id <whatever>

  Then ran a script as follows (passing in ubuntu@<container-ip>):

  while [ 1 ]; do
      (time ssh $1 "echo OK > /dev/null") 2>&1 | grep ^real >> log
  done

  In my case, after 1052 logins, the 1053rd and thereafter were taking
  25+ seconds to complete. Here are some snippets from the log file:

  $ cat log | grep 0m0 | wc -l
  1052

  $ cat log | grep 0m25 | wc -l
  4