I figured out what my problem was, and since I haven't seen any
solutions anywhere else, hopefully this will be of some use to the next
person. In my case it turned out to be the Nvidia driver, which
installed its modules under /lib/modules/4.8.0-32-generic. When I
upgraded to 4.8.0-34, it couldn't find the drivers. See
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2349132 for more information.

Of course this doesn't explain why it was looking for pam_kwallet.so,
which I suspect is a separate issue.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Can't login as ordinary user with lightdm

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  I can't login as ordinary user rose with lightdm.
  It is an Ubuntu 15.04 for armv7l .
  At the beginning I saw the already reported issues with kwallet, which is not
installed. I commented out the corresponding lines in. I have now:

  root@odroid6:~# cat /etc/pam.d/lightdm
  #%PAM-1.0
  auth requisite pam_nologin.so
  auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin
  @include common-auth
  auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
  #auth optional pam_kwallet.so
  @include common-account
  session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad]
pam_selinux.so close
  session required pam_limits.so
  @include common-session
  session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad]
pam_selinux.so open
  session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
  #session optional pam_kwallet.so auto_start
  session required pam_env.so readenv=1
  session required pam_env.so readenv=1 user_readenv=1
envfile=/etc/default/locale
  @include common-password

  and

  root@odroid6:~# cat /etc/pam.d/lightdm-greeter
  #%PAM-1.0
  auth required pam_permit.so
  auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
  #auth optional pam_kwallet.so
  @include common-account
  session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad]
pam_selinux.so close
  session required pam_limits.so
  @include common-session
  session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad]
pam_selinux.so open
  session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
  #session optional pam_kwallet.so auto_start
  session required pam_env.so readenv=1
  session required pam_env.so readenv=1 user_readenv=1
envfile=/etc/default/locale

  It seems that my password is accepted (login via ssh works perfectly),
  but with lightdm I get only a black screen with mouse cursor. Login as
  user odroid which is in group nopasswdlogin with lightdm works.

  After trying to login as user rose, I have to login with ssh and kill
  all processes owned by rose. At the end of /var/log/auth.log I see:

  Oct 28 19:34:17 odroid6 lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement
"user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "rose"
  Oct 28 19:34:26 odroid6 lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session
closed for user lightdm
  Oct 28 19:34:26 odroid6 lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session opened
for user rose by (uid=0)
  Oct 28 19:34:26 odroid6 systemd-logind[651]: New session c8 of user rose.
  Oct 28 19:34:26 odroid6 systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session
opened for user rose by (uid=0)
  Oct 28 19:35:10 odroid6 systemd-logind[651]: Removed session c6.
  Oct 28 19:35:10 odroid6 systemd: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session
closed for user lightdm

  Package: lightdm 1.14.2-0ubuntu1.1
  Uname: Linux 3.10.82-57 armv7l
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.7
  Architecture: armhf
  Date: Fri Oct 30 18:14:21 2015
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: lightdm
  mtime.conffile..etc.pam.d.lightdm: 2015-10-28T17:40:04.609656
  mtime.conffile..etc.pam.d.lightdm.greeter: 2015-10-28T17:53:38.848444