Public bug reported:

I cannot print to my networked Brother HL-3170CDW from my wife's newly-
installed 16.04 laptop. My other laptop running 14.04 prints flawlessly
to the same printer. They are similar ASUS models. I did print from the
new machine once, right after installing the drivers, but eventually I
get a 'printer may not be connected' message, even if I delete and
recreate the printer. The jobs just queue up, and the printer never
leaves deep sleep mode. I don't think a signal is getting the the
printer to wake it up.

Of course, the CUPS version is different. The 14.04 machine (the one
that is working) is running 1.7.2-0ubuntu1.7 and the 16.04 box is
running 2.1.3. Sorry, but it's not with me, so I can't get much more
specific that that. All updates have been applied, though, and I even
tried the version in the experimental (proposed) repo. I've done my best
to eliminate all other possible causes of the problem, such as...

I'm using Brother print drivers downloaded from their site using the
installer script (2.0.0-1). It currently pulls down version 1.1.2-1.i386
of the CUPS wrapper and lpr files automatically. I've also tried version
1.1.4-0.i386 of the CUPS wrapper that I kept from a previous download.
The 1.1.4-0 driver is what works on the 14.04 machine.

To eliminate potential network problems, I've changed many network
settings. The printer is connected with a wire, not wifi. I have a
static IP address on it, but I tried using DHCP just to see if that was
an issue. Brother's best suggestion was to turn on IPv6, but that didn't
solve the problem. I even changed the physical port on the switch, just
to cover all the bases. I don't think it is a network problem at all,
although I cannot always ping the printer from the new machine, whereas
I can always reach it from the old machine.

Thanks for the help!
-Brandon

** Affects: cups (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Printer not connected

Status in cups package in Ubuntu: