It turns out I can reproduce this with unity-greeter (on zesty). I get the
following:
1. Log into session from greeter
2. Switch to greeter and log in again
(returned to session)
3. Switch to greeter and log in again
Switched to black screen, can manually VT switch back to session but need to
unlock it from screen locker.
4. Switch to greeter and log in again
Returned to session, but screen locker shown.

There were a couple of bugs regarding signals and return values from
greeters which I have fixed in lp:lightdm, but these don't seem to have
caused the issue.

Still investigating...

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Robert Ancell (robert-ancell)

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Unable to unlock session after suspend using lightdm-gtk-greeter.

Status in light-locker package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Unable to unlock Xubuntu XFCE session after suspend. I'm presented
  with unlock screen, and entering credentials will redirect to a black
  screen with "This session is locked", and "you will be redirected to
  unlock screen".